Saturday, January 17, 2009

Steps to follow to dry your Cellphones

If you’ve dropped your cell phone in water, or just gotten it wet, then you’ll want to make sure you follow a series of steps to ensure it will continue to operate.

1. Do not, repeat, DO NOT try to suck water from any device with a vacuum cleaner that is not designed to suck water. What where you thinking? This could cause a fire hazard, and could electrocute you! Only use a “wet/dry vac to do this as it is designed to work with wet liquids”
2. You have to pull the battery first thing!!! Not in a few min, but the sec you pull the device from the water. This will help prevent shorting of the device.
3. Letting a phone or any other device like it sit and dry on it’s own will cause corrosion of the electronic and at that point, you should get a new one.
So, how do you recover a wet cell phone? This is your best bet. Oh, and how do I know what I’m talking about? I have re-coved high tech electronics that have been submersed in water about a hundred times and I work with R/C subs and boats modified with things like cameras and other high tech electronics that are designed to sink and be recovered, and as much as you like to try, you can’t always keep it water proof. Note: I have only lost two items I could not get to work again out of about 100 + sinks.
So on to the recovery:

1. Remove the power ASAP. Pull that Battery!!!
2. Pull the sim card “if you have one!”
3. Pour rubbing alcohol in to the device. Fill it or submerse the device in a bowl full of the alcohol and try to get out all the bubbles. Why rubbing alcohol? The alcohol displaces the water from the circuit boards.
4. Soak the phone for just a few seconds to get it all in there. Now take the device and drain the alcohol from it. Shake it a bit to get as much of the liquid out as you can. You can also use air in a can to gently blow it out.
5. Alcohol will evaporate on it’s own in a short amount of time. I often will continue to shake the item and inspect it to make sure it is dry. Note, sometimes you will have liquid in the LCD and this can be tricky trying to get it out, if the alcohol can displace it, it will help.
6. Let sit for several hours to make sure it is very dry.
7. Put the battery back in and see what happens. I have on my own recovered several phones for friends this way but this will only work, if it is done right after you pull the phone from the water. If you wait, corrosion will set in and the phone is most likely done fore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi thеre, You have done a fаntaѕtic job.
I ωill certainlу digg it аnd pеrsonally suggest tο my friеnds.
I'm confident they will be benefited from this web site.

my web page :: used bucket trucks for sale
my web page :: bucket truck blog

Anonymous said...

I all the tіme emailed thіs ωebpаgе
poѕt ρage tο аll my аsѕociates, beсauѕе іf liκе to гead
it afterwаrd my links will too.

Here is my page: Tens Machine
My webpage :: www.samstensunits.com